Any marketer who has experience with Facebook Advertising knows the importance of middle of the funnel and bottom of the funnel targeting. Facebook Ads offer interest and demographics based targeting and we have seen many companies making good use of these targeting options. However, the real strength of Facebook Ads lies in how you can target people who are ready to act. This action can be buying your product, subscribing to your services, or registering for a webinar.
Marketing is all about your ability to target people who are interested in what you offer. Custom Audiences is a simple concept which has been made popular by Facebook. These custom audiences can be created from your customer files, website traffic, Facebook Page Engagement, Video Engagement, App Use, and even Video Views. Below is a comprehensive list of ways in which you can create and target warm audiences who are more open to your products and services. Remember that no Facebook Audience guide can be complete because there can be many variations depending on your business. Secondly, Facebook constantly adds new ways of targeting people who use it. That said, if you go through this guide thoroughly, it should help you market your products more effectively with Facebook Ads.
- Customer File – Use your past and existing customers and upload their data in Audiences on Facebook Business Manager. There are 12-15 fields that you can match with and you can expect 40-60% of your customers’ details matching. You can now retarget to these customers or exclude them from being targeted.
- Customer File Lookalike – Let Facebook find people who “look like” your customers. Facebook can target people who have the same spending habits, demographic patterns, income status, interests, and social stature as your customers. This way you can find more top of the funnel audiences to target with your ToFU content such as blog posts and case studies.
- LTV Based Customer Lookalike – Upload the Lifetime Value Numbers of your customers which refers to the total amount based on frequency and volume of their buying with you. Facebook can then help you find more people with similar interests and spending patterns. All your customers aren’t made equal and it makes sense to mirror your best customers to find more like them.
- Website Custom Audience – The simplest custom audience that is created from your website traffic includes all the visitors to your website(s) in past X number of days. You can target people who visited up to 180 days (6 months).
- Visitors by Time Spent – Facebook lets you define custom events in your Facebook Pixel through which you can create events that target a section of your website. When you combine this with time spent, you can target people who spend most time on one or multiple products.
- Visitors by Page URL or content sections – Limitless ways in which you can re-target to people who are interest in a product or a product category. Let us say you sell gardening equipment and someone is spending time on your lawn mower page. You can target these people by showing the exact products through Product Catalog Sales ads.
- Visitors Who Search on Your Website and Search Query – Yes, you can re-target all the people on your site who have searched for a product and then show them that exact product through product catalog sales ads. Else, you can also show these people regular ads asking “Do you want, X?
- By operating system and devices – If you’re a game developer or a gaming company who makes games for Android and iOS, you can target the users by the operating system. You can show Android users Android App Install Ads and iOS users iPhone App Install ads.
- By Language – You can show ads to people according to their language preferences. Very useful if you have products or services that matter to Hispanic audiences or French speaking audiences in Canada.
- You can target all the traffic you received from your Amazon shop to your website or from Google by using the referrer parameter in Events.
- Visitors by Order Values – There is a value parameter in the “Purchase” event of Facebook pixel. You can use it to retarget people who have bought items worth or above a $ amount. This is a good way to lump together users who buy high-ticket items or higher than above ticket goods.
- Aggregate Order Value – Just like targeting people by order value, you can also target people by aggregate order value which refers to the total of all the orders someone has placed. You can place all your frequent buyers in this bucket.
- App Active Users – If you are an app developer, you should be working with Facebook’s SDK to retarget the active users on your app.
- Anyone who opened or did not open your app – You may want to show ads to people who opened or did not open the app. You could also run ads on the Facebook’s Audience Network appealing to your app users to open your app.
- Offline Events – This one is great for businesses that are brick and mortar. You can now create audiences from people who visited your store or called in to buy or inquire. This is a new feature that was added to Facebook last year.
- Video Engagement – Facebook requires at least 50 conversions a week to improve the quality of audience for your ads. If your lead or sales/purchase ads are not performing well enough, a reason maybe that Facebook does not have enough data. In such a case, you can optimize for, and create audiences from, video views. Facebook offers 3-second, 10-second, 25%, 50%, 75%, and 90% video watch objective. This means you can target each other the above users depending on their interaction level with your videos.
- Facebook Lead Ads – Moving on to the most effective Facebook Marketing Tool in the business today – Facebook Lead Ads. If you’re not already using them, it is time to go explore them. Facebook Lead Ads audiences can be created and targeted based on audiences’ interaction with the form. People who opened the form, people who opened and submitted. You can include or exclude these audiences or create a Lookalike audience based on these.
- Facebook Page Engagement Audiences – There are multiple audiences that can be created ranging from people who Like your page to whom who have commented, shared, or Liked a post on your page. You could also target people who have sent a message on Facebook messenger or people who have saved any of your posts.
- Instagram Business Profile Engagement – Just like Facebook engagement, you can target people and show them relevant ads if they interact with your Instagram business profile. We have had many marketers come to ask us about Instagram profile but you must remember that you should be registering as a business profile and not as an individual profile. The targeting options are almost identical.
- Last but not the least target people who are interested in your Event. Facebook Events are a great way to create awareness about your offline events and you can solicit Interested and Going reactions from your audiences.
Facebook Ads can be the most rewarding social media marketing channel for you in 2018. Testing, optimization, and experimentation are keys to success with a social media campaign and FB ads are no different.