5 Factors Affecting the Visibility of Your Website
Looking for the best proven tactics to help improve your business’s online presence? Following some tried-and-true principles of digital marketing can really make a meaningful difference!
Modern-era marketing revolves around utilizing internet-based technology to engage users online through means including websites, social media, emails, and search engines to increase your ability to reach both current and prospective customers.
Today’s online marketing comes in many shapes and forms, and has been adopted by both large and small businesses alike. When combined with quality SEO services and other effective techniques, the right digital marketing strategy can help your business website to land at the top of those all-important search engine results!
What are search engines?
Search engines like Google, Bing, Yahoo, etc. are some commonly-used, web-based tools that account for the majority of the world’s internet traffic. They help both and define and determine the information that users will find when they search for various products, services, and brands online.
What makes a website visible on a search engine?
Website visibility is the process of being found on different search platforms. The search visibility score for a particular website depicts the percentage of clicks that website achieves through organic search results.
How is search visibility calculated?
Based on factors including high-ranking keywords and average search volume, search visibility is calculated by:
- Determining all rankings for your various keywords
- Applying estimated click-through rate (CTR) based on keyword rankings to ensure that higher-ranking keywords receive more weight in determining the overall score
- Adding all CTR results and dividing them by the total number of keywords tracked throughout the campaign
A particular search engine visibility score lies somewhere between 0% and 100%. A score of 0% means that you have no pages raking in the top 50 spots of search engine results pages (SERP), while a score of 100% means that ALL of your keywords rank highly across the major search engine platforms.
SEO visibility is not a constant number; it can rise or fall based on various factors, thus having a noticeable impact on SEO-generated traffic for your particular website.
Why might my ranking drop?
There are several reasons you could experience a drop in rankings. Some of the major reasons include:
- A measurable dip in CTR
- Recent changes in keywords
- Sudden changes on the website
- Search engine algorithm changes and updates
- Hosting issues including the ability to migrate from HTTP to HTTP
What are some tips for managing keywords?
We know that one of the possible reasons your search visibility can drop is due to the change of certain keywords in your campaign. However, one tip you can follow when adding new keywords is to also label your keywords. Labeled keywords allow you to filter visibility for groups of keywords, giving you the ability to individually track their performance.
How do I increase my website’s visibility in search engines?
The day you find out that your site has lost its hard-earned ranking can be seen as a time to panic by some. But don’t freak out! In this blog, we seek to help ease your pain by helping you to determine what the likely responsible factors are for your website rankings drop, and we’ll also share some tips on how you can right the ship!
Website speed and mobile first user experience
UI/UX is an important key to success for any website. Website loading speed – referring to the time it takes your web pages to load – has a direct impact on our SEO ranking factors. The longer it takes a website to load, the greater your chances of seeing users bounce away from your site! Bad user experience is certainly something you want to avoid.
Given the trends of more users now using smartphones over desktop computers for performing searches, mobile-first indexing of websites has become the new norm. As the name suggests, this approach makes the smartphone user experience a first priority. The result? Improved search rankings for your website!
How well you choose to optimize your page also has a profound effect on search rankings. Here are a few essential factors that help determine site visibility:
- Meta tags: A meta tag is a piece of descriptive text included in the web page’s header section. An optimized meta tag is the best way to suggest your page – and its respective content – to be noticed by a search engine.
- Heading tags: This is a substantial relevancy factor for search engines, and can help you to generate good content that is valued by both search engines and your prospective readers.
- Headlines: The heading or title is meant to describe the page content itself. You should craft your headings while keeping the user’s search behavior in mind. A compelling heading that drives more clicks is always the right choice.
- Keywords research: Creating a highly-optimized keyword content to increase rankings has been an effective SEO strategy from the beginning. Keyword optimization is a proven method with many interconnected pieces, including keyword research and the avoidance of cannibalization.
- Keyword cannibalization: This is the scenario in which a single keyword or term is used multiple times on different pages. By using the same keywords too frequently in this manner, you actually create competition between your own pages; this can negatively impact your site ranking.
- User engagement: Designing your webpages with modern SEO strategies isn’t enough. Your primary goal should always be to drive more user engagement. This entails things like maximizing your web page loading speed, being in tune with search engine algorithm changes, and avoiding duplicate content.
- Solve technical Issues on the website (technical audit): Of course you want to put your website in the top position of search engine results, generate more website traffic, and earn a higher conversion rate. Technical SEO is all about fixing the technical errors which can prevent that from happening. The goal of a technical audit is to help you identify any technical mistakes. The best method is to operate with the client’s developer to get any needed fixes flagged and then implemented. Technical reviews focus solely on the technical execution of your site, and any related on-site factors.
- Search engine indexing: Indexing and crawling is the primary function of search engines, so you certainly want your site to be structured for proper indexing and crawling.
Quality content and length
Studies show that longer content generally produces a higher ranking on search engines, but it’s not just about using more words. Google values quality content that is truly relevant to what people are looking for, and that is also backed by the right keywords. A well-written, detailed content not only engages a wider audience, but it also serves to bring in more traffic to your website.
Strong backlinks: Google has confirmed that backlink quality is one of the major factors responsible for search visibility. Powerful backlinks bring in more referral traffic to your site, and allow quick indexing of your pages on search engines.
How strong are your back links?
- Domain authority: Backlink strength can be quickly estimated by looking at domain authority. Ranging from 1-100, domain authority is one of the best ways to predict a website’s rank in SERP.
- Page authority: Unlike domain authority, page authority is a measurement to estimate the rank for individual pages within your website, as they concern search engine results.
Click through rate (CTR)
CTR is an SEO metric that tells you how many people have clicked through your website out of the total number of visitors on site. If your website bears a high CTR, Google will rank it higher in search engine results. Thus, optimizing CTR is a sound strategy for improving your search rankings while also bringing in more traffic.
What can I do to improve my website visibility?
From what we’ve shared above, now you should take a closer look at your own website. Isolate the most prominent places where your site seems to be failing. Not sure how to prioritize that for yourself? Then it’s time for you to partner with a trusted digital marketing agency with the necessary professional expertise and experience to help you turn your website around! If you’re ready to boost your search engine rankings and start to see a real increase in website traffic, the Cibirix team is here to help you reach your goals!
As an SEO Expert for Cibirix, Pranav Sharma is passionate about creating effective backlinks and performing on-site and off-site optimization for both B2C and B2B business clients. He leverages only the best “white hat” SEO techniques to deliver improved business results for clients, and one of his primary goals is to help businesses make better investments in their websites that will generate better long-term results. In his free time, he enjoys playing cricket, singing, and spending quality time with friends and family.